POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : right x*image_width/image_height : Re: right x*image_width/image_height Server Time
3 Aug 2024 02:16:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: right x*image_width/image_height
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 28 May 2004 08:50:02
Message: <c97cgl$64o$1@chho.imagico.de>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> As far as I'm concerned, automatic aspect ratio
> should have been the default setting (instead of 4/3) because it's extremely
> practical and something less to worry about.

I agree the 'trick' is not as bad as Thorsten tries to make it in
practical scene design (i often play with the aspect ratio of the render
when creating a scene and don't want to be required to modify both
render parameters and camera settings every time i change it).  But
automatic aspect ratio is not as easy as it might seem because there are
at least two ways to implement it (automatic right vector length or
automatic up vector length).

And note changing the default is a problem in terms of backwards
compatibility (otherwise the current '1.33' would already have been
changed).

> Are there other
> common circumstances (video output?) where having square pixels by default
> would be problem?

The most common probably is printing on a printer with anisotropic
resolution.

Christoph

Last updated 01 May. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______